Saturday, December 6, 2008

Welcome to the BPP!

Welcome to the "Blind Pilots Project"!


This is a project that is being continued, from a few years back, to enable blind and visually impaired persons to access flight simulators, and fly (either alone, or with a virtual airline) to their hearts content.


This is done via Microsoft Flight Simulator, (2002 is the most accessible via screen reader, but 2004 can be used with NVDA) a screen reader, and a few plugins for FS such as FSNav.


This small blog, I hope, will serve as a place other BVI persons can find out about the project, and get in conteact with eachother to share tips, flights, and have a good time.


Abit about myself will do. My name is Harun, and I'm 23. I'm low-partial (RoP IV) and in college. I enjoy translating and flight simulation.


RESOURCES:


-Here are some very important resources to get you started. Please listen to them, and leave comments if you'd like to share other audio content or flight tips.


1. Scott Shade on BlindCoolTech podcast. -- This is the series that started me on this crazy journey. Scott introduces the concept, and explains requirements and demonstrations.


PART 1 LINK: http://media.libsyn.com/media/bct/bct1134FlightSimulator.mp3


PART 2 LINK: http://media.libsyn.com/media/bct/bct1141FlightSimulator2.mp3


2. Aaron (or Harun) demonstrates a Semi-auto takeoff method to be used in FS2002.


PART 1 LINK: http://www.sendspace.com/file/r4nofn


PART 2 LINK: http://www.sendspace.com/file/vu4ffe


3. RECENT updates to the Blind Pilots Project. THESE ARE EXPERIMENTAL audio, so please leave feedback.


PART 1 (First semi-manual landing!) LINK: http://www.sendspace.com/file/9px9qi


PART 2: (Giving Voice Commands to FS) LINK: http://www.sendspace.com/file/gzu5l7


I hope this will get other BVI folks interested in flight simulators. Please feel free to leave comments.

6 comments:

Pitermach said...

I need a little help. I am using vista. so, fs 2002 is not an option. I would be greatful for tutorial geared twards 2004, since A few of my friends confirmed it works.

Harun85 said...

Certainly, piotr. I'm using Vista and FS2004 myself, with NVDA. I'll try to work out a few tutorials.

Cheers,

Pitermach said...

thanks.

Harun85 said...

piotr:

Can you give me an idea of your setup? Are you running JFW or NVDA? (JFW will not run at all with FS2004 as of yet)

Thanks,

Pitermach said...

I use vista ultimate, I have FSnavigator installed and I wasn't sure if I did it correctly, I got fsUIPC or something like that, there was no setup and I extracted the hole folder into the modules folder in fs2004's main directory. Now, I start it up. wait a few seconds and I hear from NVDA "dialog" If I wait more I hear "microsoft flight simulator 2004, a century of flight pane" waiting further gives no results. I should add I get no sound. pressing alt doesn't seem to do anything, nore pressing f9. pressing escape takes me into a dialog where I can pick "end flight," "continue flight," "view flight analisice." pressing enter on "continue flight" takes me back into the main window with the "microsoft flight simulator 2004, a century of flight" text. I donno what I did wrong, I bet it's the missplacing of the fsUIPC files or something. this is a clean install done this moarning. I might try using system access, maybe it will give a bit better results. O I forgotten with NVDA I tried to navigate around with the object navigator nothing. only the "system" menu and my desktop are visible.

tomko said...

I have fs 2004 and fs navigator. I'm planning my first flight on vatsim, but unfortunately I don't know if fs nav can fly SID or STAR procedures correctly. I'll be grateful for any help.